Monday, June 22, 2015

It Gets Easier


Day 2 with Travis
Well, my plan is working!  I have finished one week of my exercise regimen, and this whole jogging thing is getting a little easier for me.  The first couple of days were incredibly exhausting.  I would finish my 20-30 minutes of jogging/walking and then want to take a good long nap afterward.  However, today I was so energized by how much easier it was to run.  I didn't feel like the fluid in my lungs was trying to kill me, I wasn't panting for dear life at the end of my jogging increments, and I was actually surprised when my exercise time was up...it didn't feel that long today.  Woo-hoo!!!  I'm making progress!!!

In just the one week since I've started this whole running thing, I've also found other ways to improve my happiness.  I finally said a complete goodbye to my ex-boyfriend - no Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, texting, calling, or anything else between us!  For the last couple of weeks, I had been taking a careful inventory of my emotions, and I noticed they were never very positive after he and I would contact each other.  So, I rid myself of a negative influence, and though it was definitely painful at first, I've been amazed at how much more I have felt like myself this week.  Yay for another small (but actually huge) victory!

In addition to saying goodbye to the negative, I've also said hello to the positive.  I've been making it a goal to serve at least one person every day.  Whether that's grabbing a Frosty on the way home for my mom, making new friends with people that sit by themselves at church, or picking my brother up from work to save my parents the trip, I've felt incredibly productive and important when I do something for someone else.  Who knew that even small, everyday acts of service could improve my happiness?

Some post Father's Day bonding
I've also seen some incredible support in just the past several days.  I'm grateful for encouraging texts from my sister Pamela each morning, cheerfully telling me to get my butt out of bed and out the door to run (she's also been a great resource for my exercising questions and concerns).  I'm grateful for my exercise partners, Matthew, Travis, and Dad, who come jogging/walking with me and have been so positive in my new endeavors.  I'm grateful for people who have given me something to shoot for, like Catherine (my sister-in-law) suggesting we go running when she comes out to visit in a month as well as my dad encouraging me to run the BYU Homecoming 5k in October.  I'm grateful for my sister Nicole who lets me know that she thinks the world of me and who is one of my greatest cheerleaders.  I'm grateful for my best friend Keahna with whom I feel comfortable sharing all of my insecurities, whether they be about running, school, or boys.  And I'm grateful for a mother that is in-tune with the Spirit enough to offer scriptures, quotes, personal stories and advice on a daily basis to help me work through my feelings and help me see things from a new perspective.

So there it is.  I've been feeling happy again.  Obviously it's a constant, everyday, uphill battle.  But hopefully it's also obvious that I'm fighting that battle..and today I feel like I am winning.  Today I can see my victories.  Today I am rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment