I never thought I was all that un-athletic though, because I could still run fast enough to chase the cute boys at recess and I knew enough about general sports to do well in a game. I even played Parks & Rec volleyball in 6th grade and was one of the best players on my team.
However, during my 7th grade P.E. class, I became very insecure about my athletic abilities. I soon realized that I wasn't very good at the basic technique of a lot of sports; I didn't have a lot of strength when it came to various exercises like push-ups or high-jumps; and I wasn't the faster runner anymore (especially when it came to the mile run). But I was never one to be lazy at school. So, I worked as hard as I could during class, actively participated in all warm-ups and activities, and tried my very hardest on all performance tests. Though I was working harder than the majority of the students in my class, and putting up with my teacher's snide comments about my less than athletic prowess, I had not improved enough. Thus, when final grades came, I found I had earned a B for the semester. Yes, it is my shame - a B in a 7th grade P.E. class.
![]() |
| #52, first row, fifth from the left |
I still tried out for the middle school volleyball team in 8th grade, encouraged by enthusiastic coaches who saw the best in me, and I made first string for the girls' B-team. I didn't think it was all that bad, seeing as I had only played for one year. However, after a less than stellar season, and as I progressed into high school, I quit playing for fear of running during practice. I knew that I wasn't very good at running (my P.E. classes had proved that), and I didn't want to spend my time embarrassing myself.
Ever since then, I have been incredibly insecure about anything athletic, but especially running. I avoid playing sports where running is required, even for fun. I never go out jogging with friends because I don't want people to see just how out of shape I am. And I never, under ANY circumstances, would ever go running with a romantic interest - talk about wanting to crawl under a rock and die!
So what's the point of all this? K, she doesn't like running...so what?
Well, I've started running...more like jogging interspersed with some walking...but that's improvement and definitely a new start for me. By the end of six weeks, I plan on being able to run/jog a full 5k. And this is unheard for me. Today was the first day of my new six-week program. And I jogged 60 seconds for every 90 seconds of walking, and I did this for over 20 minutes. Matt (my 17 year-old, very athletic brother) even supported me today, doing my exercise with me, so that I could have a friend to start out with. And though this first day may not seem particularly strenuous to some of you, I did it. And that's more than what I could say about yesterday. Today I had a small victory.
So why the sudden change? (Now, this is the important part.)
I've been feeling really down about myself lately. After a hard break-up with a guy I really loved, I don't believe I'm very valuable. I don't think I'm desirable, and I have been in a relatively constant fog of depression for about two months. And I'm SICK of feeling that way!! So, I've decided that I'm going to work on my weaknesses and improve myself. I want a small victory every day. I want to act on this stupid funk and get myself out of it. And I think that by doing something hard (even if it is easy for most people) and overcoming my embarrassment about running and actually conquering a fear/insecurity/weakness, I can prove to myself that I am valuable again. And that gives me hope.
So, here's to doing something hard so that I can finally rejoice again!

What a beautifully honest post! I loved every word of it.
ReplyDelete